In THE iDOLM@STER franchise, the term Producer (プロデューサー Purodyuusaa) refers to someone who is put in charge of pop idols and is usually the protagonist of almost every work across the franchise. It also refers to the nickname of the franchise's fans.
In the games, the player takes control of a young, rookie producer. His personality is based on the player's decisions and actions, and his name is also decided by the player (for example, (Name)P). His actions can range from caring to perverted - although in drama CDs, he is usually shown to be somewhere in-between.
In THE iDOLM@STER Live for You!, it is said that the Producer has been extremely busy. Therefore, the player takes on the role of a fan representative, making it the first game where the player is not the Producer.
Not all Producers are male. Other characters in the series are considered "Producers" and, depending on the character, will either collaborate or consider the main producer a rival. Examples of this are Ritsuko Akizuki in THE iDOLM@STER 2, Reiko Ozaki in Dearly Stars, and Yukie Yabushite in the relations manga.
A different producer appears in every continuity. Even though they have similar roles and may sometimes appear similar, they are all separate characters.
- THE iDOLM@STER Drama CD series and New Stage series's Producer produces all of the idols at 765 Production. Because each scenario in the CDs is considered its own "canon", his personality varies significantly. He is voiced by Yuuki Tai.
- Jouichirou Kaneda (金田上一郎 Kaneda Jouichirou) is a Producer from THE iDOLM@STER manga by Hinata Yaya.
- Hiroyuki Yoshino (芳野裕行 Yoshino Hiroyuki) is Chihaya Kisaragi's Producer from THE iDOLM@STER (1) Yasuragi no Senritsu. An old friend of Junichirou Takagi, he was offered a job as a Producer because his singing career in the United States was not doing well. He knew Chihaya when they were younger, but she has forgotten him.
- Ayano Miki (実喜綾乃 Miki Ayano) is the unit "Proro" (Haruka Amami, Yukiho Hagiwara, and Ritsuko Akizuki)'s Producer from THE iDOLM@STER (2) Tokimeki no Summer Days. She is very cold and serious, and is known as a "Legendary Producer".
- Takenori Yamazaki (山崎武則 Yamazaki Takenori) is a Producer from THE iDOLM@STER novel series. He is a rookie, and joined 765 Production because of his admiration of Hiroyuki. He also is the one who gave "Proro" their name.
- THE iDOLM@STER relations's Producer is Miki Hoshii's Producer, and the former Producer of Chihaya Kisaragi. He is well known for his work with Chihaya, and eventually becomes Namco Angel's producer. He is voiced by Takahiro Mizushima.
- Yuutarou Takagi (高木裕太郎 Takagi Yuutarou) is the 765 Production Producer from THE IDOLM@STER Break!. He is Junichirou Takagi's grandson. Though he is only 16, Takagi left the office in his hands after being hospitalized. He is the first producer to ever produce Hibiki or Takane in any continuity. He is voiced by Azumi Asakura.
- THE iDOLM@STER 2 The world is all one!!'s Producer is the unit "SprouT" (Haruka Amami, Yukiho Hagiwara, and Hibiki Ganaha)'s Producer. He was an employee of 961 Production, sent by Takao Kuroi to sabotage the office. He eventually defected and became a supporter of all of the 765 units, but focused on SprouT.
- Kyouhei Suruga (駿河恭平 Suruga Kyouhei) is Chihaya Kisaragi, and later SLEEPING BEAUTY's Producer from THE iDOLM@STER 2 Nemurihime. He's a bit scatterbrained. He is voiced by Shintarou Asanuma.
- THE iDOLM@STER anime's Producer produces all of the idols at 765 Production, though Ritsuko Akizuki produces Ryuuguu Komachi after Episode 7. He is very passionate about his job, and is willing to go the extra mile for his idols without showing favoritism, which has made him popular with fans to the point of nicknaming him "Broducer". He is voiced by Kenji Akabane, and as such is sometimes called AkabaneP or just BaneP.
He is also the Producer to appear in the most works to date: the 2011 anime, the No Make! drama CD, the Namassuka SPECIAL CD series, the movie and the manga series by Mana. He is later revealed in the Million Live! anime adaptation as a promoted Chief Producer.
- Shizuka Sanjouba (三条馬静 Sanjouba Shizuka) is the producer for Jupiter in D@YS OF JUPITER ~THE iDOLM@STER~. She is a determined, but well-meaning producer who does her best to make sure her idols stay on track and have everything they need to succeed.
- Puchimasu!'s Producer is voiced by Junji Majima and he produces the 765 idols and their corresponding puchidols. Despite his well-toned body and passion for his idols, nobody takes him seriously and it is unclear whether he is incompetent or secretly amazing at his job. Despite Puchimasu! beginning publication during the First Vision, it is often classified as Second Vision media due to when it was adapted to animation. Often nicknamed "P-Head", due to his appearance having a bright yellow letter 'P' for a head, and is currently one of the acceptable depictions of a producer in the fandom.
- The Cinderella Girls anime's Producer is a representative of 346 Production, and also works as a scout. He is an intimidating man with sunken eyes and a hulking stature that often leads to people (including the police) to be scared of him, but he's actually quite awkward. The gap between his appearance and his earnest, purehearted personality led him to be quite popular with fans. He is voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi and as such is often referred to as TakeuchiP.
- THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS WILD WIND GIRL's Producer is an intimidating man who resembles a yakuza, as a match for former delinquent idol Takumi Mukai whom the manga is focused on. He is known as TakumiP due to both being in charge of her and being voiced by Yasuaki Takumi in a drama CD adaptation.
- THE iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls U149's Producer is a short, young-looking man who favors mature idols but is placed in charge of a group of child idols. He is voiced by Yuuki Yonai in the drama CD and the anime adaptation, thus earning him the nickname YonaiP.
- THE IDOLM@STER Million Live manga's Producer
- THE IDOLM@STER MILLION LIVE! THEATER DAYS Brand New Song's Producer is the producer of the 39 Project at 765 Production.
- THE iDOLM@STER Million Live! anime's Producer is voiced by Genta Nakamura (中村源太 Nakamura Genta).
- THE iDOLM@STER anime's Producer also returned in the Million Live! anime as the Chief Producer of 765 Production.
- THE iDOLM@STER SideM's Producer appears in the in-game manga as a consistent character, making SideM the only game in the series to have a defined producer design. They wear an open-collared suit without a tie and have long hair, making their gender somewhat ambiguous, likely to reflect the mixed audience of the game. Though the Producer is rather expressive, they are never depicted with eyes. They are very enthusiastic about their work, to the point of occasional overenthusiasm, and can be something of an airhead. Due to their androgyny, they're given the nickname P-chan.
- The SideM anime's Producer is the producer at 315 Production. He is based on the design for the Producer in the SideM game. He is voiced by Kaito Ishikawa, which grants him the nickname "IshikawaP."
- The Shiny Colors manga's Producer is the sole producer of the four units of 283 Production.
- THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors anime's Producer is voiced by Kyouhei Natsume (夏目響平 Natsume Kyouhei).
In game, the producer is never seen and is always from a first-person point-of-view, with the exception of SideM, which features an official producer in the in-game manga. The producer is depicted in Puchimasu! manga and in fandom as a male with a bright yellow letter 'P' for a head. In the comics drawn by Proton for the official arcade and Xbox 360 version character pages, and the webpages for THE iDOLM@STER Live for You! DLC, the Producer is drawn as a man with the letter 'P' on his face rather than any facial features. In the adaptations, the Producer is typically shown as a man with short black or blue hair, glasses, and wearing a suit and tie.
First Vision games' producer, as depicted in Proton's 4-koma series.
Cinderella Girls U149's producer in the anime.